Monday, July 28, 2008

Hip Hop is Exhausting

A Rock the Bells Review

*some of the video may not run through smoothly. If the problem persists, I'll link them through youtube*

I called off of work today because I could barely stand this morning. I knew I was going to be tired today, but I wasn’t expecting the level of exhausted that I encountered. Yesterday, I attended an all day hip hop festival entitled Rock the Bells. It was amazing.

The concert took place at Merriweather Post Pavillion in Columbia, MD. It included probably 20 hip hop acts on two stages. The headliner of the tour was A Tribe Called Quest but other notable acts included Nas, Method Man & Redman, Raekwon and Ghostface, and De La Soul *le sigh*.

I started off wanting to record the enormity of the event in snippets of funny dialogue but really, that wouldn’t have done the tour justice. I did get a lot of video and pictures so this blog will be long even though I won’t be talking too much. I will note some of the most memorable moments though.

The first act I saw was Dead Prez. They ROCKED.

I was embarrassed that as much as I love them, I didn’t have any of their CDs and the only song that I knew of the theirs was my FAVORITE song ever “Mind Sex”. I crossed my fingers and dammit, they performed it!!!!



Then Immortal Technique came up. He was very aggressive. So aggressive that when he told everyone he was signing autographs, Rina and I were too scared to go.


The Boys came after that and we took an opportunity for some photo ops. Mark, Roy, and O are all pictured with Rina.


Oh, I must mention the Hip Hop sign language ladies! There were three of them, but this chick was ROCKING! If you’ve never seen someone rap with their hands, then you should DEFINITELY enjoy this!

video

Rakim came out. I went to go get chicken strips during this part of the show so I didn’t see much of him. I was thoroughly disappointed that he didn’t rap “Oh we love you Rakim” but I could see how that may have gotten him clowned … but seriously “I’ve got soo many woman and I just can’t get them out of my mind, OH WE LOVE YOU RAKIM” … It’s a classic!


Raekwon and Ghostface came out next.

Can I say that I was little disappointed in how subdued they were?

video

I know, I don’t want black men to run around the stage shucking and jiving for Uncle Tom, but I do wish I could have seen a bit more … energy.

But this guy right here, he is full of energy… lol (I love candids)

video

De La Soul then came out … Ahhh De La Soul.

video


Now, if you look dead center at this clip, there is a woman ROCKING …

video

Notice please her gray hair. Yes, that is your grandmother ROCKING OUT to De La Soul.

Now, look at me and De La.


Don’t you see how he could be my boyfriend?


Do you see it better now?


I thought so.



And then it happened. Redman and Method Man came out.

Let me explain to you my fascination. I love Method Man. I have had a crush on him since “You’re All I Need to Get By” …

video



Remember when he stage dived and they dropped him? He hasn’t learned his lesson yet, but this time, it worked out for him.

video

They brought DJ Clue out to join in their tomfoolery, he’s the one on the left hand side.

video

Then, he decided he wanted to meet me …

video

(that’s me screaming)


I mean why wouldn’t he?

And he touched me. It was beautiful. And I went batshit crazy for about 15 minutes.
After I calmed down, we took another picture.

I don't know why I was holding my hand out like that, but that's the hand that Meth touched so I'm glad I have a picture of it.

Then the Pharcyde came out. I’m not really that big of a fan so I don’t really have much to report.



video

Mos Def came out and killed it. He performed in red light so my pics didn’t come out that good.


But he did do the song dedicated to The Narcist “Ms. Phat Booty”

video

THEN NAS CAME OUT AND KILLED IT.


Every song. Every word. Killed. Nasir Jones is a genius.

video

video

A Tribe Called Quest ended the show and the available memory on my camera, lol. Here is Q-Tip and Mos Def enjoying themselves.

video

And here is A Tribe doing “Award Tour”

video

*please notice that De La came back out for the performance, still wearing that green hat :)*

I had fun.

- Tha Management

1 comments:

E2Deep said...

I'm mad that you didnt invite me!!!!! I saw that footage when meth fell in when he did that stage dive, it was too funny. I'm glad they caught him this time. I know you had fun!